Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Dang, I must be doing things the hard way lol. Screen layer is pretty useful though.

copperchef
Regular Boarder

copperchef

In linea No
Livello 12
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 65
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
@Keychain
There's lots of ways to do things so just do whatever works for you and gives you the results you want. I dont use many plugins and filters personally, I have lots of set routines in Lightroom and Photoshop tho. Good job with the tutorial. Always great to share knowledge and work off each other's experience.

To get more depth of field (DOF) you can try a couple things. Its always hard to get deep DOF with smaller subjects like figures and even worse when you're photographing nendos. You can use a wider angle lens or you can back up so that your focus distance is farther. Be glad you're not photographing multiple gemstones. That's a true pain to get them all in focus. >_<

Been loving seeing the shots everyone is submitting and I've been doing critique so I figure I should submit also. I thought keychain's lighting idea for the yandere shot was pretty cool and got me thinking about doing a similar setup but a different mood with my cowgirl figure Sonolar. picture #51770 picture #51774 2 different angles.

Tech info: Softbox with Orange gel at the 9:00 position. Light below table aimed at background of magenta gel. Aimed at 1:00 position. Spot light with magenta gel at the 2:00 position. Couple of flags used to keep the light low and the background darker.

Love to hear what you guys/gals think.
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8672/konmiosig5.gif

najimi13
Regular Boarder

najimi13

In linea No
Livello 12
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 96
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
lol don't know what to say to a photography teacher sporting some mad equipment. But a neat way to solve the focus problem is to take multiple exposures and blend them. Photoshop has a function for this, or you can do it with masks.

Or use a tilt-shift if that's your thing.
Aggiornato 7 anno/i fa #135870

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
copperchef picture #51770 picture #51774

Both pics, digging the lighting. If anything I might try upping the intensity of the orange softbox just a bit, maybe move it in 6" to a foot, maybe a slightly cooler shade of orange or even gold to give her a little more pop compared to the background.

First pic I might try stopping the lens down about a stop or stop and a half to get a little more dof. Her belt and hand is a little more out of focus than I'd like to see, although maybe that's the effect you were after. I think parts of her as it is are kind of blending into the background, maybe bringing more of her in focus will help her pull her out.

Second pic, I'd be grasping at straws to find fault. I'm liking the focus on the gun, right arm and ammo pack, really conveys the fact that this girl's packin' heat. If anything I might move the magenta spot a bit to 1:00 to see if that might define her right side a bit sharper.

Might be interesting to add a flag and try to get the background to go from dark to light then transition back to dark again in the bottom right corner.

Overall not really seeing any flaws from my point of view, more just seeing if moving things around a bit could make the figure pop just a bit more and make things more interesting.

@Najimi: by tilt shift, you mean like a bellows or lensbaby type of deal?
Aggiornato 7 anno/i fa #135903

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Here's another one from me, I suck at posing lol.

picture #51826

Wondering if this could've been made better with better lighting and a more dynamic camera angle.

najimi13
Regular Boarder

najimi13

In linea No
Livello 12
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 96
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Shot looks okay. It probably could've benefited from different angle/pose to make her look more "natural." A bit too toy-ish, if you know what I mean lol. Also want to see more of her face. I think a little less of the soft focus effect on the white parts would also make it a little easier on the eyes, and especially less around her headband. Or just diffuse it more iono.

I meant tilt-shift as in being able to tilt your plane of focus so you don't have to stop down so much/keep desired amount of DoF.

I'll probably go out later and shoot some stuff today for critiquing. lol

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
lol, totally agree with you on the shot looking too toyish. Not used to having to pose my figures so that's something I really need to work on. Good point on using less of that soft focus effect, looking at it again it made kind of a weird round top around her headband and kind of overcooked the highlights. If I have time before my friend picks it up (he probably won't till I get one of the touhou plushes I ordered for him lol) I'll try to get a shot with a more natural pose and better lighting.

Ashlotte
Full-time Reviewer
Very Important Boarder

Ashlotte

In linea No
Livello 22
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 255
Posizione Florida, ...

7 anno/i fa
Well I wouldn't say she needs a natural pose...Its a robot girl so I think looking alittle stiff is fine, just the angle you shot at was a little stale...She's just sorta there ya know with very little in the way of impact? (God why do I always use that word...).
"There are some people who live in a dream world,
and there are some who face reality;
and then there are those who turn one into the other."

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/Arkadyz/Heart_Music_by_AlexSatriani.gif

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Gave it another go, struggling on this one. I can't picture in my mind the shot that I'm after.

picture #52026
Aggiornato 7 anno/i fa #136516

copperchef
Regular Boarder

copperchef

In linea No
Livello 12
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 65
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
I like this shot much better key.

Much better pose and I like the lighting. Something about the angle of the gun she's point towards the camera is off though. I looks almost ... like its sideways. Its a difficult angle to get right. Wait til you try posing real people XD

Thanks for the feedback on my shots also. I was going for a lit by campfire look but I do think parts could use more separation from the background. More figures and more shots to do! :)

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Agree about the gun, that thing was giving me a headache and I just couldn't get it right lol. Tried so many angles, so many poses, but all I can do is keep experimenting.

Hopefully when I do start shooting people more I'll have a better eye for imagining the shot I'm after and have a better idea of how to get it. Aw man, I think it's time to take a break and pound on my drums lol.

najimi13
Regular Boarder

najimi13

In linea No
Livello 12
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 96
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Yeah I was about to say something about the angle of her rifle. Also, lighting might be a bit strong on her crotch, it makes it a spot to stare at instead of her face or something. lol

Just a comment on the figure, but it's got a weird stock on the gun. I can imagine it getting in the way of trying to straighten it up. lol

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Yeah the lighting is a bit strong on her crotch...looking at it now kinda reminds me of a diaper lol.

The guns are pretty annoying to be honest, they don't like staying in place and yeah, the stock gets in the way a bit.
Aggiornato 7 anno/i fa #136563

copperchef
Regular Boarder

copperchef

In linea No
Livello 12
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 65
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Yea I had a feeling it might be an awkward prop. I forgot to mention that in my last post.

One of the tricks of still life stylists is this blue sticky substance thats kinda like those kneadable erasers. Im totally blanking out on the name and Im too lazy to hardcore google search for it but its in many camera stores in the prop section along with fake ice cubes, powdered ice and the like. You can use that to stick the gun stock to her forearm or something to help with posing it. Or even doublestick tape. Of course you want to be careful that you dont peel off any paint Also dont leave any sticky materials on for a long time as the adhesive might get funky and stick to the figure. Usually if this happens you can use a fresh piece of tape and use that to pull off the residue.

Looking forward to more shots.
Aggiornato 7 anno/i fa #136574

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
copperchefblue sticky substance thats kinda like those kneadable erasers.

You mean blu-tak? Think I got some somewhere, not sure.

Here's another pic while we wait for others to post:
picture #52029
Aggiornato 7 anno/i fa #136593

Ashlotte
Full-time Reviewer
Very Important Boarder

Ashlotte

In linea No
Livello 22
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 255
Posizione Florida, ...

7 anno/i fa
I love the lighting and angle though I'm not entirely sure what you were trying to express here? Ah maybe I'm just slow and don't get it...Find that happens a lot with me. >_>

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Just kind of playing around with the whole Mio x Ritsu and combine it with Zange's 1 time for 100 yen thing. Pretty much just a silly pic. Guess that could lead to another point of critiquing, conveying a story or theme through one's photos.

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
Flash pointed at a piece of foam board to diffuse, aimed so that less light would hit the background while still lighting up Holo. Gold gel on the flash for warmth. Manila folder behind Holo (to the left) to get a bit of highlighting on the left side.

picture #53332

Setup: [ext link ]
Aggiornato 7 anno/i fa #139678

Ashlotte
Full-time Reviewer
Very Important Boarder

Ashlotte

In linea No
Livello 22
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 255
Posizione Florida, ...

7 anno/i fa
I wish I had that kinda space to shoot in...T_T

Oh sorry...I love the lighting on this one though! I want to say the angle shouldn't be quite that low, but then I don't own the figure so its kinda hard for me to really judge. >_<

Aggiornato 7 anno/i fa #139975

« Precedente   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Successivo »

Sopra ↑

Iscriviti al club per partecipare alla discussione.