Ashlotte

In linea No
Livello 22
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 255
Posizione Florida, ...

7 anno/i fa
picture #91845

No damn idea what I'm doing...Trying a slightly different angle I guess?

Meh I need a good figure to inspire me... >_>
"There are some people who live in a dream world,
and there are some who face reality;
and then there are those who turn one into the other."

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/Arkadyz/Heart_Music_by_AlexSatriani.gif

Tier
Regular Boarder

Tier

In linea No
Livello 14
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 8
Posizione United St...

7 anno/i fa
I like the green tones, they give a cool, kinda clinical feel to the photograph. The angle and the way the figure lines up against the pole adds a strong element of interest and helps the viewer focus on Mari right away. Viewers can identify the foreground, middle, and background right away, which is good. I really like the background lighting and how it backlights the pole and gives different intensities of green.

The stuff on the left clutters up the picture, since there's no counterpart on the right. The figure isn't lit up all that well; she blends into the background, which is alright for her clothing and body, but not so good for her face. Her skin tone is a bit cool, which gives her an unhealthy appearance. I think that the most significant problem is how the sky is completely blown out, as if a nuke just went off nearby.

My overall assessment is that the picture is very good and could be improved with some compositional tweaks, such as lowering the angle to get a bit more of the background on the right side to balance out the buildings on the left. It's obviously also constrained by the equipment you have, which is just the way things go ... I don't know anybody who takes pictures who doesn't wish he or she had more gear.

I'm also going to add a disclaimer that I'm not very good at giving criticism and the last guy I offered a critique to took it badly.

Luzai
Regular Boarder

Luzai

In linea No
Livello 15
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 66
Posizione Melbourne...

7 anno/i fa
Tier
I'm also going to add a disclaimer that I'm not very good at giving criticism and the last guy I offered a critique to took it badly.

I thought it was very analytical and well explained. I'm always in awe of people who can give good criticism: analyzing the composition, lighting, balance, etc. As for myself, I just go 'OOH, I LIKEY', or 'ehhh, somethings off'. I've read lots of criticisms in photography forums but still can't produce a good analysis myself, maybe it all happens subconsciously? How do you guys do it?
Anyways, I thought I'd give my 'OOOH, I LIKEY' to this pic, I'd seen it the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see it here. I like the color of the lighting or the tint, whatever it is, it gives it a nice retro-ish look. I like the tilt too, although in my opinion it might be tilted too much. When I see the horizon line, I feel like I'm disoriented, although the angle on Mari herself isn't too extreme. The column behind her was a nice touch, it makes her stand out from the blown out background. Oooh, maybe next time try to get her closer to it so that all of her body is covered by the column or farther away so just her head is.
Aggiornato 7 anno/i fa #243377

Ashlotte
Full-time Reviewer
Very Important Boarder

Ashlotte

In linea No
Livello 22
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 255
Posizione Florida, ...

6 anno/i fa
Haha wow since I stopped visiting the clubs in general I didn't even know Tier And Luth/Zai had given such an awesome critique! Sorry Tier and Luth/Zai. >_<

Ah in any case since I've upgraded recently and don't have a damn clue what I'm doing with the thing I figured I'll try and start submitting shots to the thread again for some critique.

Also if anyone else wants CC I might not be the best ever at it but I'd be happy to give my meager opinion!

So to start...

picture #202706

The idea was to make it feel very grand and royal...I'm not entirely sure it worked honestly. >_<

Aggiornato 6 anno/i fa #490912

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

6 anno/i fa
First off, congrats on the new camera! Sure you'll figure it out in no time, hell seems like you already did lol. Been a bit distracted from photography lately but I'll give the ol' C&C a try and hopefully be helpful, orz.

Like the idea. Background is nice and the red pillow reminds me of watermelon, err, matches well. I really like the lighting on her boob cover, the shine adds to the look of gold and the colors are nice and deep with good contrast. Shadows seem a bit pushed towards black but a lot of people like that. I kind of wish her headdress also had a bit more light reflecting from it but it still has a nice glean to it. Little more highlight would make it perfect though.

Focusing on Menace, in general I like the way the soft light accentuates her curves. The lighting on her face is fairly flat, masking the contour of her nose, and the whites of her eyes kind of blend into her skin tones. Not sure what would help with that, maybe a reflector/light off to the side, camera left? There's a strong highlight on her left shoulder that throws things off a bit as well. Maybe a diffuser, like a piece of wax paper off camera, could help soften it. Just something neutral in color but semi-opaque.

Framing-wise it's a bit awkward with her right foot cut off. The deadspace up above works really well for that sense of grandeur you were after.
Balance is a bit left heavy, accented by the diagonal of the shaded pillow perfectly intersecting the bottom right corner and the tilt of the camera. More light on the bottom right and some along the bottom might help with this, along with bringing in more of the left side. In terms of angle, maybe shooting from lower to the right and up, catching more of that glorious underboob holier than thou attitude would give the shot more impact.

For further back shots I like a bit more depth of field. Peeking at your exif data, maybe upping the ISO a bit if shooting hand held and stopping down to f5.6 or maybe f8 with a touch of front focus (using her face as reference) would bring Setora(?) in focus. The slight front focus would also have the side benefit of defocusing the background. In my opinion having more of the subject in focus is worth a bit of softness for shots like this, but I know of others that would disagree and insist the face be tack sharp regardless. Depth of field is a useful tool though, so play around with those focus points as sometimes the most obvious ones aren't always the best. Shooting portraits waist up or closer I would always focus on the eyes though.

Work has me in a flaw finding mode (not to mention cynical) so hopefully the C&C above doesn't come off the wrong way. Been a while since I've really C&C'd something, not to mention the last time was on /p/...

Ashlotte
Full-time Reviewer
Very Important Boarder

Ashlotte

In linea No
Livello 22
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 255
Posizione Florida, ...

6 anno/i fa
keychainFirst off, congrats on the new camera! Sure you'll figure it out in no time, hell seems like you already did lol. Been a bit distracted from photography lately but I'll give the ol' C&C a try and hopefully be helpful, orz.

Haha not even close...

keychainLike the idea. Background is nice and the red pillow reminds me of watermelon, err, matches well. I really like the lighting on her boob cover, the shine adds to the look of gold and the colors are nice and deep with good contrast. Shadows seem a bit pushed towards black but a lot of people like that. I kind of wish her headdress also had a bit more light reflecting from it but it still has a nice glean to it. Little more highlight would make it perfect though.

Yea I actually wanted something lighter but thats all I had. Basically a large piece of cloth bunched up to form a halfass pillow. Yea I couldn't get much black in my shadows it felt like on the old P&S so I might be overcompensating haha. Mmm I see what you mean about the headdress...Honestly was so focused on her body and all didn't even notice. *adds check gleam on metallic surfaces to list*

keychainFocusing on Menace, in general I like the way the soft light accentuates her curves. The lighting on her face is fairly flat, masking the contour of her nose, and the whites of her eyes kind of blend into her skin tones. Not sure what would help with that, maybe a reflector/light off to the side, camera left? There's a strong highlight on her left shoulder that throws things off a bit as well. Maybe a diffuser, like a piece of wax paper off camera, could help soften it. Just something neutral in color but semi-opaque.

Yea I was trying my best to highlight the body since I wasn't incredibly fond of her face (Except for the eyes) sadly. Mmm yea her face is really sunk back from everything have to figure out how to work the lighting when that happens...Guess I need a reflector like you said. Ah that highlight was a screwup that I didn't even see! Theres a lot of strong direct light just behind her so I tried to position her on the edge of it but looks like I accidentally got her shoulder in it anyway.

keychainFraming-wise it's a bit awkward with her right foot cut off. The deadspace up above works really well for that sense of grandeur you were after.
Balance is a bit left heavy, accented by the diagonal of the shaded pillow perfectly intersecting the bottom right corner and the tilt of the camera. More light on the bottom right and some along the bottom might help with this, along with bringing in more of the left side. In terms of angle, maybe shooting from lower to the right and up, catching more of that glorious underboob holier than thou attitude would give the shot more impact.

That bothered me too...Still trying to get the hang of shooting through the viewfinder because it doesn't show me the entire picture which for a live view kinda guy feels awkward haha. Yea I was trying to get a low enough angle to have the scale I wanted but If I went too low it show the fact that its just a short wall haha. Still could use some work I agree.

keychainFor further back shots I like a bit more depth of field. Peeking at your exif data, maybe upping the ISO a bit if shooting hand held and stopping down to f5.6 or maybe f8 with a touch of front focus (using her face as reference) would bring Setora(?) in focus. The slight front focus would also have the side benefit of defocusing the background. In my opinion having more of the subject in focus is worth a bit of softness for shots like this, but I know of others that would disagree and insist the face be tack sharp regardless. Depth of field is a useful tool though, so play around with those focus points as sometimes the most obvious ones aren't always the best. Shooting portraits waist up or closer I would always focus on the eyes though.

Mmm I'm still trying to work out the F-stops for sure. Just cranking it wide open is easy, but figuring out where you want it at to bring more elements in focus is a bit more tricky it seems. Haha I honestly don't even want him in focus or in the shot at all but he's glued to her stupid hand!

keychainWork has me in a flaw finding mode (not to mention cynical) so hopefully the C&C above doesn't come off the wrong way. Been a while since I've really C&C'd something, not to mention the last time was on /p/...

No no not at all your CC is always extremely informative and well thought out key! I wish I was better at this so I could return the favor properly (Not good with indoor or Nendo so thats a double strike against me...). >_<

Might take another bash at it today and see if I can work out some of these problems.

Aggiornato 6 anno/i fa #492566

Luzai
Regular Boarder

Luzai

In linea No
Livello 15
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 66
Posizione Melbourne...

6 anno/i fa
Wow, that's some epic C&C. I'd better search for a photo to get ripped apart here, was just wondering earlier this morning where I could submit photos to get epic C&C like this.

I'll give it a try although I'm not as good at details and technicalities.
I understand the space above Menace is meant to convey grandeur but somehow it feels a bit.. empty? Part of that might be the tilt you're doing there but usually with tilted photos, I find there are elements that help lead your eye to the point of interest. In this case, maybe the curtain folds, lines, whatever, can lead in towards Menace. Could use a darker curtain with more prominent lines and bunch them near the bottom so the lines point more to the figure? This is coming from someone who thinks every single one of his tilted photos has come out crap and thus never seen the light of day so take it with a grain of salt ^^

The staff thingy being out of focus, I do that a lot myself and kick myself every time when I'm processing and notice it. I like to throw my photos on the compy every couple shots to check for things like this but you Canon folk can actually hook your camera up to a computer and blast the photos straight there. Well, I guess a laptop would help.

Other than that, yeah, I actually didn't know she had eye-whites until keychain mentioned it. The foot being cropped is a little distracting. I like the idea that keychain mentioned about low-angle shot to emphasize the stature and make her look bigger. Underboob is always a big win too. As for the wall size limit, can try moving her closer to the wall/curtain? It might look nice with the curtain flowing around her head too?

Anyways, I'm being cut short by the need to get going but hope that helped in some small way!

Ashlotte
Full-time Reviewer
Very Important Boarder

Ashlotte

In linea No
Livello 22
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 255
Posizione Florida, ...

6 anno/i fa
LuzaiWow, that's some epic C&C. I'd better search for a photo to get ripped apart here, was just wondering earlier this morning where I could submit photos to get epic C&C like this.

Hey go for it! I don't know jack about shooting indoors, but I can try haha...

LuzaiI'll give it a try although I'm not as good at details and technicalities.
I understand the space above Menace is meant to convey grandeur but somehow it feels a bit.. empty? Part of that might be the tilt you're doing there but usually with tilted photos, I find there are elements that help lead your eye to the point of interest. In this case, maybe the curtain folds, lines, whatever, can lead in towards Menace. Could use a darker curtain with more prominent lines and bunch them near the bottom so the lines point more to the figure? This is coming from someone who thinks every single one of his tilted photos has come out crap and thus never seen the light of day so take it with a grain of salt ^^

Yea I don't usually use empty space much so to call it a rough first try would be putting it mildly...I'm more of an extreme close-up kinda guy, so your probably right about it feeling too empty. I was hoping the light would shine through that material more which it sadly didn't.

I'd be afraid if I used a darker curtain it wouldn't let the light through how I wanted but I could experiment I guess. Bunching would be kinda hard because she's actually proped on top of some boxes and not on the ground haha. Plus you have to secure it near the bottom of the wall to make sure it doesn't blow away or fall out of place. But yea the slots in that wall are only at a certain height so it was kinda needed to stick her on a halfassed pedestal.

In the future I really should take a picture of the set-up I'm shooting as well so you can get an idea of what the limitations where in the shooting enviroment. Dumb of me... >_<

Haha I never took tilted either, but I gave it a go once...liked it...Now I tend to needlessly abuse the hell out of it any chance I can!

LuzaiThe staff thingy being out of focus, I do that a lot myself and kick myself every time when I'm processing and notice it. I like to throw my photos on the compy every couple shots to check for things like this but you Canon folk can actually hook your camera up to a computer and blast the photos straight there. Well, I guess a laptop would help.

Haha well like I said to Key I really hate the staff and would rather it not even be in the shot so that was very much on purpose (Why ami did you GLUE it to her hand!!!)

Yea I've seen people do that before, but I have little interest in lugging around my laptop with me to shoots...Besides probably just make me an even bigger mugger target. :p

LuzaiOther than that, yeah, I actually didn't know she had eye-whites until keychain mentioned it. The foot being cropped is a little distracting. I like the idea that keychain mentioned about low-angle shot to emphasize the stature and make her look bigger. Underboob is always a big win too. As for the wall size limit, can try moving her closer to the wall/curtain? It might look nice with the curtain flowing around her head too?

Yea stupid foot thing was a complete screw-up on my part...getting better using the viewfinder to take shots albeit slooowly. Yea a lot of the time I tried to go for low the staff kept causing me problem...Like if you try and line the camera straight so it she's looking right into the lens the damn staff is right there eating up a good chunk of the frame and blocking her body (and boobs).

You can pop its head off but then the unfinished part is left and it also makes the thing look very...errr...suggestive from most angles haha.

She actually is only inches from the wall there already...Mmm I know what you mean about it being around her as I've tried that with a different shoot once and didn't like the effect. Maybe try to tweak it and do it in a slightly different way.

LuzaiAnyways, I'm being cut short by the need to get going but hope that helped in some small way!

Haha it was more then most give so I won't complain! Feel free to submit yours sometime!

Once I break out of my depression about Yukari I'll try and shoot something to throw up here again!

Aggiornato 6 anno/i fa #500526

Luzai
Regular Boarder

Luzai

In linea No
Livello 15
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 66
Posizione Melbourne...

6 anno/i fa
Alright, time to get ripped apart! Here's my photo to be critiqued: picture #206920
And a setup: [ext link ] well, similar setup with a light coming in from the side onto the subject and another light pointed away, both diffused with tissues. The left light is being flagged/reflected a bit with a piece of white felt that I would hold between the subject and the background just out of frame. The felt is diffusing a lot of that light which would have otherwise left a hot spot on the flag and reflecting a bit back onto the subject.

I was trying to go for a motorcycle pinup look especially with the posing and lighting. The post-processing I was a little unsure about so I went with my usual color-saturate then tone down the yellows, some contrast and blacks boost and I think some noise reduction.

Some self-critique after sitting on it for a day, I kinda wish I had left more space around the subject, perhaps by putting it closer to the flag so I could have more of that nice reflection. Do you guys think that would have looked better? Oh and please feel free to be brutal!

4Arnd
4ア一ンド
Administrator

4Arnd

In linea No
Livello 26
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 2552
Posizione United Ki...

6 anno/i fa
@Luzai - There are always limits to what you can do without the room or additional camera equipment. But I have to say, you certainly know how to work the camera, really interesting how you've setup the shots for the last one and for the last few pictures before.
The only thing I was wondering about you last pic, was the flag, when looking at the stars, it seem the background may has moved, but I guess this was intentionally printed this way.

I usually use a desk lamp as well to light a subject, which I'm trying to photograph close up. But mostly still requires a series of shots to get the lighting right (sometimes too dark due to the mains flicker, which is 50Hz here).

I know I have to put one of these light boxes on my purchase list. xD
http://myfigurecollection.net/pics/b/mfc180x80.png . https://en.facebookbrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/FB-fLogo-Blue-broadcast-2.png . https://cdn.cms-twdigitalassets.com/content/brand-twitter/en/jcr:content/par/c01_column_1596992668/col2/b04_asset_download_m.img.500.medium.1469476604231.jpg .

Ashlotte
Full-time Reviewer
Very Important Boarder

Ashlotte

In linea No
Livello 22
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 255
Posizione Florida, ...

6 anno/i fa
Haha ripped apart...

I'll pass on commenting on lighting as its not my forte and go for other things. :p

First I like that you can see her butt nicely...The problem is motorcycle pinup is a lot about the legs and while hers are nice the color of them makes them sort of disappear against the motorcycle (White against silver). The idea of them is to use the curves and lines of the girl to compliment the bike (Or vice versa depending on if its for a bike mag or a mens mag haha), but here the two sort of become one.

That said I don't own any figma's so I'm not sure what is possible posing wise to fix that problem.

Also not a huge fan of the glasses which is odd since I love meganekko, but those just look silly to me and completely destroy any illusion at sex appeal. >_<

I like the scale of the flag, but when I see american flags in the background it either needs to be very clear and bold looking or blurred out to just give the general feeling of the flag. The one here gives the impression of a really old one with the faded out colors and messy lines.

I do love the bit that you shot her on top of though! Good idea on that.

Aggiornato 6 anno/i fa #502061

Luzai
Regular Boarder

Luzai

In linea No
Livello 15
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 66
Posizione Melbourne...

6 anno/i fa
@4Arnd: Thanks! Well, the background isn't the highest quality so I intentionally blurred it out a little to hide the imperfections in the print. As Ashlotte pointed out though, it'd be better to have it tack sharp or really blurry so this kind of confusion doesn't happen.

If its too dark, set your shutter speed longer?

I used to use a light box for my early shots, it's very easy to make your own, just do a google search. But I eventually got frustrated with its restrictions on angles and such and ended up ditching it. Thanks for the C&C!

@Ashlotte: Haha, I tried hard to make the butt stand out xD Hmm, I probably should have had her legs on top of the bike with the flag to help accentuate them or switched out the legs to bare ones. I'll give it a try next time I'm shooting with her. A lot of the typical poses with the knees close to the body are unfortunately impossible to do with a figma.... unless I completely detached them and used blu-tack to hold them. Now there's an idea.

Anyways, ah, the glasses. I'm personally enamored with them and I suppose its rather blinded me to the fact that pinups don't really have glasses except in cases where they're portraying characters that wear them like librarians or secretaries. I'll have to concede that glasses + motorcycles = huh?. Doh.

Haha, yeah, the design itself has rough edges and I agree that a more blurred look would be ideal. Unfortunately in this case, its a set limitation where if I open up the aperture more, parts of the bike end up becoming unacceptably blurred and as far as moving her farther away, I'm already at the limits of my background filling the frame. Something I'll keep in mind though. Or I could have just printed another crisp version, ehehe.

Thanks! I should have explained that before, its a piece of glass (that I stole from one of my Detolf shelves) on top of a black piece of poster board, making for a very nice black reflective surface.

Anyways, thanks for the C&C! Really appreciated

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

6 anno/i fa
Stopped by and saw this thread this past weekend but didn't have time to comment till now Dx

@Ash: lol, man, you'd think they'd make it so you could get rid of him but at least it sounds like you could turn his face and make him less apparent :P

@Luzai: I don't really know much about pinups but I'll give the ol' C&C thing a shot :)

I don't know what's more sexy, a gsxr or kosmos' assss I was saying...won't really talk about the flag since I think that's been covered. If there's anything to add, it seems like it got a bit too much light which tends to make things undersaturated (blown out color channels).

Depth of field is always tough with shots like these. Easy way out is probably to shoot perpendicular to the bike but that kind of shot tends to be kind of clichéd. The thing about it that bothers me is that the right muffler is out of focus while the left muffler is tack sharp. Moving to the front end, the front discs are starting to fall out of focus, too. Would really have liked to see the whole bike in focus, could always blur the background in post :P

Moving onto lighting, I feel like the left side is fighting for dominance with the right side. I think having just enough light on the left to add some highlights for definition would have given the shot a bit more depth and impact. Hard to say without actually trying it though, so don't take my word for it. As for the right side, I think moving the light higher and a little more to the right, with something reflective off camera on the "ground" to bounce some light back up, would put the highlights in better places. Shiny things really demand careful light placement. Things start getting a bit unevenly dark around the hayabusa emblem which is where I think the reflector would help.

Idk, I think the glasses add a bit of smexyness to the shot. They do look kind of odd though ^^;; I think a slightly more playful pose would add to her appeal. Really too bad figmas don't have adjustable eyes, but then again I don't know how that would even work, but that way you could have her looking at the camera. If you could get her with her head tilted back, looking over her shoulder at the camera, I think that might work well. Maybe you could try having her sit backwards on the fuel tank with a look and pose saying "I wanna fu

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

6 anno/i fa
Give it your worst!

picture #215717

Ashlotte
Full-time Reviewer
Very Important Boarder

Ashlotte

In linea No
Livello 22
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 255
Posizione Florida, ...

6 anno/i fa
keychainGive it your worst!

picture #215717

First I luv ya Key!

And now that I've buttered you up...Erm I don't think it's up to your usual standard at all.

The lighting just doesn't do it for me at all. It combined with the background choice just makes BRS sort of disappear ya know? The obvious spot where the material you use for the backdrop meets one another on the bottom left area is a rather bad eye sore as well.

The focus seems to be poor as well and BRS especially lacks in sharpness or detail. And...Ah I think it's just easier to link your old shot of BRS vs. DM.

(mfc link)

You can see the overwhelming difference in quality between that one and this right?

That one had beautiful lighting, angle, great atmosphere and tack sharp details...This one looks like a poor snapshot in comparison looking rather dim in general. T_T

Still I luv ya key don't hurt me haha!

Aggiornato 6 anno/i fa #520856

keychain
Very Important Boarder

keychain

In linea No
Livello 18
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 109
Posizione United St...

6 anno/i fa
Haha, I was thinking that pic might get brought up since they are basically so similar x/

I see what you mean by BRS getting lost in the background. Looking back at it I think I was just so enamored by the fact that BRS had a bass that I just hoped I could turn shit into gold with that setup. Think I need to rig something up for the big black and white rolls of paper I got a while back. I already got a clothes hanger trolley thing to hold it up, just a matter of figuring out how to incorporate it into my setup. Think I'll need to move away from the safety off my wall and ironing board.

From a technical standpoint, I had trouble figuring out a way to get the light where I wanted. I'll take another stab at it and see if I can come up with a solution and post a before and after setup pic if I do. As for the focus, I think I have a few tricks up my sleeve that will help with that *cough* focus stacking :x

As always I appreciate your feedback! Don't worry, I'll suppress the urge to break some bones...somehow...haha xP

Miette-chan
Regular Boarder

Miette-chan

In linea No
Livello 14
Iscrizioni 8 anno/i fa
Post(s) 3
Posizione United St...

6 anno/i fa
Alright I came across this thread during the weekend and it seems to be a nice place to ask for constructive criticism. I been in a slump when it comes to scaled figure photography. With that said I gonna post a picture I took along time ago when I still took pictures I was happy without much trouble. One that has always been relatively popular.

[ext link ]

I'm hoping that hearing what you guys have to say might help me out of my slump. While not as a bad as the few last months it's skill kinda there nagging me.

Luzai
Regular Boarder

Luzai

In linea No
Livello 15
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 66
Posizione Melbourne...

6 anno/i fa
OK, I'm gonna start spamming since its pretty much 3 different things I'm going to post on.
@keychain: Thanks for the C&C! I think a lot of my problems stem from the flag, it was already a little bit faded and a bit dingy looking and if I had picked a nicer flag with a higher quality print, I would have had brighter colors and wouldn't have had to restrict myself on DoF. Although I had thought that the bike was all in focus and now that you point out those bits out of focus, I'm kicking myself. I need to pay better attention to little details like that.
As for the lighting on the left side, after I had read some photography articles, it seems a favorite technique is to 'rim' light the edges of vehicles and such which would add some of the highlights you talk about? I haven't used my reflector (a piece of foil wrapped around a BRS DVD, lol) in awhile, I really should pull that thing out and start using it again.
Ahhh, I did originally try to have her posed on top of the bike like that! But alas, it was too slippery and giant globs of blu-tack weren't too sexy, although now that I think about it, I could have used a figma stand that I Photoshop out later. Alas, Luka's head is a bit restrictive to do an awesome pose like that although maybe Rider or BRS could so it? As for adjustable figma eyes, I've always wanted to someday take a pic and then shift the eyes or change the expression in Photoshop. Perhaps a day when I am not so lazy xD

Luzai
Regular Boarder

Luzai

In linea No
Livello 15
Iscrizioni 7 anno/i fa
Post(s) 66
Posizione Melbourne...

6 anno/i fa
*cracks knuckles* Ok, on to keychain's pic.

I won't go into stuff Ash said, he got all the hard things to say out of the way so I get it easy, haha!
I think one of the main things that saddened me about this pic is the fact that such an awesome bass is so hidden! Its mainly the angle, I can barely tell if DM is holding anything either. An angle around what your first pic would probably be ideal, although yeah, you already shot that.
As for the lighting, I thought it was a bit too muddled although if it was a technical issue, a setup shot would definitely help. There are some hotspots on the background like behind DM's foot, it might be reflections off the figures themselves so moving the background farther away would help since it does look pretty close. Dark figures on dark backgrounds is pretty hard though, do you use snoots on your flashes?
I do like how your angle works in this. BRS' leg and the chains help draw my eyes to the focal point of the battle.
Aggiornato 6 anno/i fa #525568

« Precedente   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Successivo »

Sopra ↑

Iscriviti al club per partecipare alla discussione.