DIY ClubAbout top coats...

• Pyrasius
    PyrasiusRegular Boarder • lv5
    Offline4 risposte
    9 mese/i fa
    Hello all,

I'm a bit new to the figure collecting mania. I've bought a couple older figures used to avoid obscene prices.

Mostly excellent condition but with a couple blemishes that need touched up. I've already been over Mikatan's guide, but while there were a lot of specifics on types of paint, there was a lack of such information on top coats.

Matte, gloss, satin, which of these is preferable for touching up Alter brand figures? I really don't want to make the lovely ladies look worse in my attempt to heal these small wounds.

Thank you for reading.
  • Nifffi
    NifffiRegular Boarder • lv8
    Offline17 risposte
    9 mese/i fa
    This will depend on the area you want to retouch, for example if it's skin it's most likely matte, but if the area has a glossy finish then you want a top coat that is also glossy. For the most part you'll be using matte, since that's the most common type of finish.
  • Pyrasius
    Offline4 risposte
    9 mese/i fa
    Nifffi9 mese/i fa#70362788This will depend on the area you want to retouch, for example if it's skin it's most likely matte, but if the area has a glossy finish then you want a top coat that is also glossy. For the most part you'll be using matte, since that's the most common type of finish.

Thanks for the assist Nifffi! It's mostly minor clothing damage, so matte it is. Is there any particular product you would recommend for matching the standard alter lacquer well/preventing paint pealing?
  • Nifffi
    NifffiRegular Boarder • lv8
    Offline17 risposte
    9 mese/i fa
    Pyrasius9 mese/i fa#70365226Thanks for the assist Nifffi! It's mostly minor clothing damage, so matte it is. Is there any particular product you would recommend for matching the standard alter lacquer well/preventing paint pealing?
    No problem ^^
    I used Testors Dullcote for a couple of figure modding projects and it worked very well, but I've also seen people use Mr Super Clear and Krylon Matte Finish with very good results too.
  • Pyrasius
    Offline4 risposte
    9 mese/i fa
    Nifffi9 mese/i fa#70366083No problem ^^
    I used Testors Dullcote for a couple of figure modding projects and it worked very well, but I've also seen people use Mr Super Clear and Krylon Matte Finish with very good results too.

From what I gather, it will serve me best to get a variety of top coats and test them on plastic spoons or something first. Thanks again for the advice and recommendations.
  • Iscriviti al club per partecipare alla discussione.
  • 5 risposte
Premium Figure Imports

DIY Club13